I met with my surgeon on Monday and went over the details of my surgery, a bi-lateral (double) mastectomy. I'm all set for early morning surgery on Tuesday, October 19th. Apparently it is about a 3 hour operation, so by noon I should be tucked away in a hospital bed at the Beaufort Memorial Hospital. Hopefully I'll get a waterfront room and can look out over the river. My stay there could be as short as a day, or maybe 2-3. Basically it depends on how good I feel and it is my call when I go home.
Part of the surgery involves removing lymph nodes from my right arm. There is a risk of developing Lymphodema as a result of this that could adversely affect the use of my arm. Next week I have an appointment to see a Physical Therapist who specializes in helping reduce the effects of this potential bad side effect. I need two good arms just to keep Larry in line.
What happens with me after the surgery all boils down to the results of the pathology report from the removed tissue and from the lymph nodes. Best case scenario, the chemotherapy has done it's job and there are no more signs of cancer. Very possible scenario, there is still lingering cancer and radiation and even maybe more chemo, and anti-hormone therapy are needed.
Although I am looking forward to the surgery, I still have 3 more weeks of dealing with the side effects of this last round of blasted chemo. My eyebrows have just about all but fallen out now, and I think I have about 3 eyelashes left in each eye. Other than that, I'm bald as a cucumber. My energy level is lower than it's ever been. The slightest activity causes me to be fatigued like never before. In fact, I'm tired now and it's time to go to bed.
Although I am looking forward to the surgery, I still have 3 more weeks of dealing with the side effects of this last round of blasted chemo. My eyebrows have just about all but fallen out now, and I think I have about 3 eyelashes left in each eye. Other than that, I'm bald as a cucumber. My energy level is lower than it's ever been. The slightest activity causes me to be fatigued like never before. In fact, I'm tired now and it's time to go to bed.
Your positive attitude about all of this will get you through it, that and those two crazy side kicks of yours. What's it like being house mother to two Larrys? I can only imagine. One serves up onions, okra and collard greens, the other laughs, hugs, and new rides. What a team!
ReplyDeleteSending lots of positive vibes across the air waves...
XXX,
MZTW