Sunday, June 27, 2010

"I love a Pirate Girl"

This weekend is our sailing club's annual Lowcountry Regatta and the atmosphere has been absolutely electric.  With 150 boats competing in 10 different classes, it's the biggest it's ever been and I am so happy to report that I have been feeling fine and am enjoying catching up with everyone.


Larry and I find that we're still at the stage where so many people are just hearing of my cancer that everyone wants to genuinely wish us well and talk about it awhile.  We expect this phase will pass soon and we can resume more normalcy in our lives.  It's a lot more fun planning future events or improvements at the club, or talking about our house renovation project, than it is spouting out medical terms and procedures.

I continue to be overwhelmed at how supportive everyone is and appreciative of the love that is being sent our way.  Please know that it very much helps us both stay positive.

As I was leaving the big party at the end of last night, donned in my wrap around skirt, head bandana and shackle earrings, I was kissed by a man I've never seen before.  "I love a Pirate Girl!!!", he proclaimed vehemently.  The funny thing to me is that I know this guy didn't know my attire was entirely due to my chemotherapy and not just a fashion statement. Larry and I laughed all the way home about that, but I have to admit, it made me feel good.

1 comment:

  1. you are a cute Pirate girl.. i know it's hard to talk about but do know in doing so, you are helping all of us because it can happen to everyone and all seem to know someone that has BC in their family and/or circle of friends. just last nite, we found out one of our friends at the table hasn't had a mammogram at 35 years old even though her mom and sister had BC. she has even asked her doctor and he said no. we told her to demand the referral and if he said no, to switch docs. so that opened up that very important subject.
    Stay strong and we know you'll beat this,
    we love you!! peggy, will and pups

    P.S. i love this blog too so i can also read about your many activities and adventures on the water. you have always been such a motivating person and i love how close you and Larry are... Larry and Sue sitting in a tree... K I S S I N G...haha

    ReplyDelete