Friday, June 18, 2010

No More Bad Hair Days

Last night was it!  I sipped on a glass of wine (a better variety than I usually drink for this special occasion) while Larry fired up the hair clippers. 

So how was it?  Well, not ever being a real girlie girl, it wasn't that traumatic for me.  As Larry made each noisy pass with the number 1 attachment ( that's 1/16th " in length)  he kept exclaiming, "Wow, you have a beautiful head!"  What a sweetheart.
When the clippers had done their job, shaving with the razor came next.  That takes forever!  End result . . . I can handle it.

After admiring his work, Larry turned to me and said, "Me next."  So now we are a matching pair of coneheads.

Why did I shave my head before my hair fell out you might ask?  It was a calculated decision.  Every person who goes through breast cancer chemo loses their hair.  From what I've gathered from friends and reading other's experiences, going throught the loss is very depressing, so Larry and I thought I would feel better about myself by getting it over up front. Plus this way, I can at least maintain a modicum of control. 

I've got some cool scarves and pretty good hats.  The Raquel Welch wig borrowed from the Keyserling Cancer Center actually looks kind of like my hair did, but I'm not sure that's my style. (Yes, it actually says Raquel Welch on the box - funny what people will lend their name to.)

Just back from getting a Neulasta shot.  This is designed to stimulate the growth of healthy white blood cells in the bone marrow.  Everyone told me this shot really burns when it is given.  Fortunately, for me, there was no discomfort.  It also is supposed to lay me out for a couple of days, but I'm hoping for the best.  In fact, I hope Larry and I will still make it to the yacht club for Sunset Friday, like always . . . we'll see.

2 comments:

  1. Not everyone can pull off the no hair look as glamorously as you! Now, let's see Larry's 'do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue you really do have a beautiful head!!! WOW! Can't wait to see Larry's as well. You continue to be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete