Hearing about Sue's breast cancer diagnosis was pretty tough on me. Once I got over the initial shock of the diagnosis, I became immediately concerned about how she would handle the chemotherapy treatments - her body being bombarded with chemicals designed to be just strong enough to kill the cancer but hopefully not quite bad enough to also kill her. These drugs carry a quite nasty list of side effects.
Try some of these on for example: Nausea, bone pain, fever, shortness of breath, mouth sores, diarrhea, constipation, bladder irritation, discoloration of skin or nails, extreme fatigue, and even "interference with the pumping action of the heart". Hey, one of the chemo drugs is even referred to as, "The Red Devil".
All breast cancer patients undergoing chemo also lose virtually all of their hair. The emotional effect from hair lose is reported by 70% of women as being the worst aspect of their treatment. So..., I decided to shave my head along with Sue. Maybe it will help Sue feel better about her own baldness. I'm doing what I can to help her have a positive self image. For instance, I've pinned up pictures of beautiful bald headed women all over our office and bedroom walls.
After seeing my bald noggin, I'm certain that you can tell Sue honestly that she looks great bald and you will not be fibbing.
Anybody remember Uncle Fester from the Adam's Family?
No comments:
Post a Comment