Monday, October 25, 2010

Sue Bares All


Glad the surgeon didn't cut down the vertical line!
The drains will hopefully come out Thursday
 Well...If anyone has been wondering just what in the heck does a bilateral mastectomy look like???Here it is.  You can see the 4 drains at the bottom and some pretty straight cutting from left to right. 

It was pretty scary to take my first look.  Once Larry pulled back the gauze packed around the area, I was surprised by how skinny I looked.  Overall I'm about OK with this as I was with the bald head.  It's all part of getting better.

Some women immediately have reconstructive breast surgery.  I have opted for no reconstruction as I can't stand the idea of fake boobs and certainly don't want any more surgery.  Even if I had wanted to do reconstruction, it is not recommended to do for 1-2 years with inflammatory cancer, as they need to be able to evaluate the skin.  If I change my mind in the future, the option is always available to me.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch! You certainly are brave! Here's a virtual, pain-free hug! Thinking good thoughts for your path report!!!
    Fran and Bob

    ReplyDelete